A small brass and enamel lapel badge with buttonhole fitting to the reverse (fitting slightly twisted). The titles " Green Howards N.R. " backed with green enamel between red enamel backed " Home Guard " and " Association ". Enamel in very good condition. Scarce.
A good example of a Second World War British Red Cross Society silk embroidered felt badge worn by the Mobile unit of the Voluntary Aid Detachments on the arm of the uniform. Good condition with some evidence of service wear, and has ink annotations on the reverse white backing cloth as follows: BRCS Notts 32, 6319 M A Smith. Presumably the 32 is reference to a Nottinghamshire Detachment numbered 32, and the longer number which follows that of the recipient, M A Smith.
In Ward Dress, the VAD would wear a grey/blue dress with white apron, an armband bearing the Mobile badge to the left arm, and a white veil gathered behind the head in a fashion unlike those worn by military nurses. Circa 7.5cm in height.
Comm BoHa (9)
A rough sand cast example no doubt made for Allied Forces following the capture of Tunis in 1943. Circa 4cm across with original pin fitting. An attractive design in the form of a crescent with a camel, mosque and date palm with the date 1943 and Tunis incorporated into the design. Most likely a victory souvenir sold in the souks and bazaars of Tunis.
In May 1943, with the fall of Tunis and Bizerte to the Allies, the last Axis resistance in North Africa ended with the surrender of over 230,000 Germans and Italians who became prisoners of war (POWs).
Comm StWi (46)
A scarce original post 1943 wartime plastic economy issue badge, the reverse with maker's details 'A Stanley & Sons Walsall 1-A Prov. Pat. Regd. No.840920.' and retaining original pin fittings. Very good condition, crisp moulding, no warping. Circa 4.3cm tall.
WLA proficiency plastic economy issue badges were produced from 1943 to signify higher level of competence in dairy, poultry, fruit and general farm work, including tractor driving.
Brass and enamel pinback WLA badge by H.W.M ( Millers). Gilding in bright, fresh condition with original pin fixings intact and with undamaged enamel.
Circa 14.5 x 9cms Home Guard patch printed black on khaki cotton. These were on issue from August 1940, initially to avoid the waste of existing LDV armlets by the simple expedient of sowing the patch over the LDV lettering. The patch was also worn on the denim uniform. Patch in good clean condition.
Official issue ' armlet ' for issue to the Local Defence Volunteers. Printed on khaki, this pattern of armband was issued from May 1940 to be worn on the right arm in lieu of uniform. The initially slow delivery was made up for by a multiplicity of home made versions (see item listed below).
Not an official issue (see item listed above) which started to be issued from May 1940 onwards, but the initial delivery of the official delivery was slow and this was made up for by a multiplicity of home made versions such as this one. The black letters are painted on with a stencil on to a red velvety material with white canvas tapes for securing it to the arm. In very good condition and an original item with some age to it. Came from the Durham area.
A rare copper token (95 out of 100 in the numismatic scarcity table, where 0 equals common) issued by the States Department of Essential Commodities of St Helier (Jersey, The Channel Islands) which gave the owner permission to grow 150 tobacco plants. A small T has been voided through it, presumably to make it official. Blank reverse. Circa 3.5cm square with rounded edges.
See the following URL for more information on this wartime formed Channel Island Department:
A set of three original items in unissued condition. A white on khaki painted home guard shoulder title with black on khaki printed DHM and the number 19. HQ Stockton-on-Tees. They wore a DLI cap badge.
website designed and maintained by Concept500