Colonial Indian Police Senior Officers Silver Plated Cross Belt Plate / Pouch Badge, die struck with three original screw fittings with original retaining nuts to the reverse. Circa 6.4cm tall and 5.4cm wide. King's Crown. In great condition. This pattern as worn 1901 - 1947.
The final photo contrasts it with the smaller cap badge listed for sale as item 62555.
A shield with a stung bugle and display of arms above a scoll "1st Chin Rifles". With two original loops to the reverse. Brass silver plated with some wear to the silver finish, as often found, otherwise in very good condition. Circa 4.5cm tall. Scarce.
The 1st Chin Rifles was formally raised as part of the interim or new Burma Army at Falam on 1st April 1945 under the command of the former Chin Levies commander, Lt. Colonel Oatts. Many of the Chin Levies were former members of the Burma Rifles who had been allowed to return home after the British retreat to India in 1942. These men, together with new recruits served with the Levies from 1942 onwards. They gave invaluable and courageous service throughout the Chin Hills, inflicting many casualties on the Japanese. Post Burma's independence in 1948 the 1st Chin Rifles continued to be involved in combating Communist and Karen and Kachin insurgencies into the 1960s. Some reorganisation of the Burma Army took place during this period and included the dismissal or transfer of senior Chin officers who were replaced by Burman officers. In the late 1980s, further reorganisation did away with battalions organised and titled along ethnic lines. In their place came integrated units identified by number. It is believed that around1988 the 1st Chin Rifles became No. 307 Light Infantry Battalion.
Comm StWi (72)
Westlake confirms this title was a Machine Gun Corps unofficial title worn by Motor Machine Gun Batteries formed in India. It is in good condition, Indian made with two original integral loops to the reverse. Scarce.
Westlake p34 / No 389 refers.
A post 1922 die cast white metal example. Two original loops to the reverse. Some twisting to top left of lance otherwise in good condition.
A locally made cap badge in cast brass with two original loops to the reverse. Black paint worn off on highpoints to accentuate the detail. Some service wear otherwise in good condition. As worn 1881-1947.
Renfrew et al Vol 1 No 1111 refers.
Smaller than the cap badge (see final photo for comparison) at circa 2.3cm tall and 2.6cm wide, with two original loops to the reverse (some twisting to left leaf but does not detract).
Worn in non-facing pairs, circa 1881 - 1947.
Renfrew et al, Vol 2 Nos 2140/2141 refer.
See 62776 for the cap badge.
The monogram UPH under a padded velvet crown with coloured silks, the badge in good bullion thread. Much of orange backing paper now absent, otherwise in great condition with no damage to the bullion or velvet. Circa 1904 - 1947. In very good condition and rare.
There are several references to a cap badge of a crown over a monogram of UPH in the Sir John Chapple Indian Army collection, but these are all noted as metal examples.
A die cast brass cap badge with two small original loops to the reverse. Circa 4.1cm tall. The base of one lance pennon bent in on itself. Would not recommend attempting to straighten it.
The Jodhpur Lancers arrived in Flanders in October 1914 and remained on the Western Front for over three years. There they participated in several unsuccessful attempts to break through German lines, including at the Battle of Cambrai where they followed British tanks into action.
In early 1918 the regiment was posted to the 15th Imperial Service Cavalry Brigade. With the brigade they were sent as part of an Expeditionary Force first to Egypt and then to the British Mandate of Palestine (present day Israel) where British forces were fighting Turkish and German troops. On September 23, 1918, the Imperial Service Cavalry Brigade was ordered to take the strategically important and heavily defended port city of Haifa. Turkish troops had taken up positions in front of the town and were supported by German and Austro-Hungarian artillery on the hills above.
The four hundred Jodhpur Lancers drew themselves up in a battle formation to the east of the city, 4,000 yards from the enemy. They faced almost one-thousand entrenched Turkish troops protected by barbed wire and covered by at least four machine guns. Jodhpur Lancers hurled themselves at the Turkish positions. Many men and horses were brought down by the hail of rifle and machine gun fire, but as they smashed into the trench line the survivors wrought terrible carnage with lance and sabre.
The charge was the last large-scale cavalry action made by the British Army in wartime. The Jodhpur Lancers fought again for the British in the Second World War, but by then they had swapped their horses for armored vehicles. The unit was later absorbed into the Indian Army following independence in 1947.
See also my item 63081 for this unit's shoulder title.
Post 1947, an attractively stylized cast brass shoulder title with two integral loops to the reverse.
The Muslim element of the former Governor General and Viceroy's Bodyguard, the device suitably altered with the Crescent and Star in place of the crown and the letters PBG on the centre of crossed lancers. Two original loops to the reverse. Most probably local silver or silver plated. A badge of nice quality, circa 4cm tall. HQ Islamabad. Circa 1947 onwards.
website designed and maintained by Concept500